The Master of Arts in Teaching of English as Second Language (MATESL) programme under the Faculty of Social Science Arts and Humanities is a noble calling, empowering students to take their places in the global community and become active participants in the teaching environments. The programme combines the precise training in methods of teaching English and practice with the analytical tools of education. The programme teaches students a wide range of skills that are valuable for careers in government schools, private schools, and international educational organizations. This programme is taught by experts by using a variety of formats (lectures, seminars, workshops,) as well as multimedia by language labs to make the program highly interactive and stimulating to the students. MATESL program has an excellent reputation worldwide and will open the door for graduates to teach in a variety of ESL settings. The programme is designed as a transformative program, which offers students the education, training, and first-hand experience essential for successful international careers.
For successful completion of Masters degree in LUC, each candidate should publish minimum of Two research articles in scopus indexed journals, with Lincoln affiliation.
The MATESL program at LUC will provide graduates with a solid grounding in both the theoretical and practical aspects of teaching English as a second language. The aims of this programme are,
• To enhance English as Second Language (ESL) teachers knowledge to offer a high quality and outstanding English language teaching experience for the students
• To provide ESL teachers with an understanding of the latest English language theories and practices so that they can contribute efficiently in the teaching ESL classroom.
• To develop ability in critically choosing, using and evaluating different language teaching materials, procedures and approaches.
• To encourage skills in conducting independent research in areas of second language learning and teaching, so that the candidates will be equipped with the latest ESL teaching approaches.
• To provide opportunities for higher ESL learning according to the changing needs of the present time and the new millennium.
TESL is one of the topmost growing and largest in the world with an international possibility. The acquired knowledge and skills after completing this program will be widely sought-after to enable all the different departments in an ESL teaching organization to work together for the profit of the entire system. The graduate students in ESL program will enhance the career prospects of people not only from an ESL point of view, but also from different backgrounds like Travel and Tourism Sectors who wish to enhance their career prospects.
Our graduates work for
· Universities and other public and private schools
· International corporations,
· NGOs and in private practice in the United States and abroad. They teach English to people of all ages and circumstances, administer ESOL programs, create new programs, and develop new teaching methods.
Minimum Duration : 18 Months.
Maximum Duration : 30 Months.
|Sl.No.||MQA Subject Code||Subject Name||Credits|
|1||MAE 1113||Theories of Second Language Acquisition||3|
|2||MAE 1123||Classroom Management in Language Education||3|
|3||MAE 1133||Bilingualism and Language Education||3|
|4||MAE 1143||Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching (CALL)||3|
|5||MAE 1153||Education Psychology||3|
|7||MAE 1213||Academic Writing||3|
|8||MAE 1223||English for Academic Purposes||3|
|9||MAE 1233||Advanced Phonetics and Phonology||3|
|10||MAE 1243||Interactive Language Teaching and Learning||3|
|11||MAE 1253||Advanced General Linguistics||3|
|12||MAE 1317||Research Project||7|
|13||MAE 1323||Data Analysis||3|
|14||MAE 1333||Philosophy of Education||3|
|16||MAE 1353||English as a Global Language||3|
|17||MAE 1363||Teaching English in ESL Classroom Context||3|
|18||MAE 2413||Theories and Practices of Curriculum||3|
|19||MAE 2423||Advanced Language Testing and Evaluation||3|
|20||MAE 2433||Professional Development in TESL||3|
Intake and Entry Requirements
Entry Qualifications :
Test score of Bahasa Inggeris as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 500, International Bahasa Inggeris Language Test System (IELTS) 5.0 or other equivalent qualifications for international students. If students do not meet these criteria, the providers must offer English courses to ensure students' proficiency adequate to the needs of the program.